Low-carb, high-protein, gluten-free, fast, easy, and delicious… these egg-celent (ha!) muffins are something I make again and again.
With just a few ingredients, it’s no sweat whipping up dozens of these muffins at a time. They also freeze well. What’s not to love?
OK, OK, so I’m not a huge egg fan, but these are starting to change my mind.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Eggs– it’s basically a 1:1 ratio. 1 egg=1 muffin
- Cheese– I prefer shredded cheddar
- Mix-ins– I usually use ham, onions, and canned diced green chilis; but the options here are endless. I have seen various recipes using goat cheese, olives, sausage, etc.
- Half and Half– Totally preference. I have made them without it, but I find they are a better texture with the half and half. Another benefit is that you don’t have to use quite as many eggs (maybe one or two less). I use the fat-free h&h.
- Spices– I use whatever I have on hand. Mrs. Dash is good, but basic salt and pepper will do.
What to do:
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Dice up/prepare your mix-ins. For 24 muffins I used: 2 cans of diced green chilis, 1 medium sweet onion, 2 cups of ham, and 2 cups of cheese.
- Crack eggs into a large mixing bowl. Add spices and half and half (I used probably 2 Tbsp of h&h, a tsp of pepper, and a dash of salt). Beat until well blended.
- Liberally spray muffin pan–muffin cups are a disaster with these. I find that just spraying the pan really well works much better.
- Fill each cup 2/3 full with mix-ins.
- With a spoon or measuring cup, fill each cup with the egg mixture until almost full.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes, until the tops are golden brown.
I like to put a dozen muffins in a large Ziploc bag and put them in the fridge. They’ll keep for about a week.
I put the rest in small sandwich bags, 2 two to a bag, and toss them in the freezer. They are great to grab on the go and can easily be defrosted either in the fridge or microwave.
Once they are thawed, zap them for 30 seconds in the microwave and you are good to go. I can remember many a morning eating these in my car on the way to work.
Try them with a dash of hot sauce and enjoy!