“When ideas are blocked, information deleted, conversations stifled and people constrained in their choices, the Internet is diminished for all of us.. There isn’t an economic Internet and a social Internet and a political Internet. There’s just the Internet.” –Hillary Clinton (U.S. Secretary of State)
GMB will be going dark tomorrow, January 18th (and Tuesday, Jan. 23rd), in support of the fight against SOPA (Stop Online Piracy Act) and PIPA (Protect IP Act). These two acts are currently being discussed in the U.S. Senate and, if passed, will negatively impact not only bloggers, but the internet as a whole. The acts aim to place severe limitations on internet activities and free speech (and weirdly, also limits U.S. citizens rights to obtain prescription drugs from overseas).
Read more about the two acts and their repercussions here.
This video, from Fight for the Future, also breaks down SOPA and PIPA.
Please consider becoming one of the millions of bloggers and websites participating in the blackout/strike events and help show the U.S. government that internet users across the world have a right to free speech and unhindered access to the web.
How can you take a stand?
- Become educated on the issue: Read the 10 reasons you should take a action against SOPA
- Join the strike
- Petition your favorite websites and blogs to join the strike.
- Write to your state Senator
- Write an email to Congress
- Petition the U.S. State Department (for those not in the U.S.–after all this is a GLOBAL issue)
- “Censor” your own website/blog in protest
I am taking a stand and I hope that you do too!