Lately, I have been dying to cook something. I didn’t really care what, so long as it was delicious!
So, a few days ago, Vince and I kicked the parents out of the kitchen and got down to work making little bits of fried, cheesy deliciousness.
Well, to be fair, Vince stood around (he likes to think he was supervising). I did all the work!
I didn’t go off of one specific recipe for these fried mozzarella bites, rather I did what I usually do and just took bits and pieces of a bunch of different recipes.
Here’s what you need:
- 230g/8.5 oz. mozzarella cheese (cut into bite size pieces)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 60ml/2.5 fl oz milk
- 150g/5.5oz bread crumbs
- 150g/5.5oz flour
- 750ml/1.25 pt vegetable oil (for frying)
- spices: we used salt, pepper, garlic powder, and oregano (will omit oregano next time) to taste
Grams? ml? We’re not in Kansas anymore, Toto! 😉
What to do:
- Cut mozzarella cheese up into small chunks and dry them off with paper towels or napkins
- Beat two eggs and stir in the milk
- Mix desired spices into bread crumbs
- Dip/coat pieces first in the flour, then egg, and finally the bread crumbs
- Place on a plate or platter
- If you want a thick breading, place the cheese bites into the freezer for 10-15 minutes then re-dip in egg and bread crumbs (no need for flour if you are doing a second coating).
- If you don’t want to fry right away, place the breaded cheese bites into the fridge until ready to use
- To fry: heat oil to about 350F (176C). Carefully drop cheese pieces into the oil. Fry for about 1 minute or until golden brown. (We used our deep fryer, which indicated when the oil was hot enough and also has a handy dandy basket, which made things really easy)
These cheese bites are best when eaten warm and with some type of sauce. We didn’t have any marinara or ranch, so we dipped them in my MIL’s homemade lyutenitsa (SO GOOD!).
I’ve never been a fan of fresh mozzarella. I always thought it had a weird texture and not much taste. But when it’s breaded and fried… YUM!
We definitely plan on making these again only next time we will not use any oregano (it overpowered the cheese) and we won’t do a second breading. Initially we thought that the cheese would leak out if we didn’t bread them twice, but I think they will turn out fine with just one coating of bread crumbs.
I can’t wait to get some more time in the kitchen!