Continuing the 10 Day You Challenge today with nine loves…
1) Travel–Honestly, when I think of the one overriding love or passion in my life, traveling and exploring the world is the first thing to come to mind. There really isn’t anywhere on earth I wouldn’t love to explore. I am forever planning my next trip and dreaming about the new experiences I will encounter. It really doesn’t matter if it’s a road trip somewhere close or a trip halfway around the world: I am in! To get really specific, out of everywhere I have been, Scotland takes the cake as my favorite destination. I was only there a few days, but the breathtaking countryside and genuinely warm people burrowed their way deep into my heart and soul. I would love to live there one day.
2) Photography–I can still remember my first camera, a cheapo 110 film Kodak given to me by my grandparents when I was a young child. People have often told me how good my photographs are, but until a few years ago I never really saw it. Now I feel like my personal photography style and unique way of seeing the world is coming through in the photos I take. I still have a HUGE amount to learn about the art itself (and using my camera in manual mode), but I feel that this is what makes photography great–there is always room for learning and growing.
3) Arts and crafts–Ever since I was little I have loved making things with my hands. I cannot draw or paint for the life of me, but I love making jewelry, scrapbooking, and doing needlework. Now by no means am I fantastic at any of them (although I am pretty proud of some of my jewelry pieces), but I sure try! My dream job would be to work out of a home studio making something beautiful for the world to enjoy. And while it may not be an art or craft, I enjoy cooking and am looking forward to improving my talents (with my husband as guinea pig, of course!).
4) Reading–Since the moment my mom read Wind in the Willows to my brothers and I when we were little, I have had a passion for reading. When people tell me they “don’t read” (I am looking at you, Vince!), my mind simply cannot come to terms with it. How could someone possibly not love reading? I enjoy all genres and subjects, but my favorite tend to be historical non-fiction, classics, autobiographies (anything by David Sedaris is a must), and good ole’ “young adult” (Harry Potter, The Hunger Games, etc.) My favorite author is Jane Austen. My favorite book is To Kill a Mockingbird.
5) Music–Okay, so I have to admit that while I love music (of all types) I am absolutely horrible with band and song names. Play me a song and chances are I know every.single.word, but ask me who it is or what the song title is and I am stumped. Unless then bad or singer is a tried and true favorite, it will take some time for me to come up with who it is. I love everything: indie, alternative, foreign, pop, rock, bluegrass… You name it. The only thing I can’t stand? Country. ICK.
6) Animals–I have a huge soft spot in my heart for the furry, feathered, and scaly creatures of this world. My family has had all manner of pets over the years and I cannot imagine not being around animals. I think my childhood would have been drastically different had we not had all our pets. Want to make me cry? Just play one of those heart wrenching Sarah McLachlan-narrated ASPCA animal cruelty commercials. I literally have to change the channel or I will be depressed for the rest of the day. This aspect of my personality makes it very difficult to live in Bulgaria, where stray animals are extremely common.
7) Sleeping–As much as I want to be a morning person and rise with the sun to have a busy and productive day, I would much rather sleep in. Sure, I still want to be productive, but not at the expense of those few precious hours in the morning! Maybe it’s because I have such awesome dreams sometimes, but sleeping truly is something I enjoy.
8) Learning–This is probably a vague one, but I don’t know how else to put it. When I encounter a new topic or simply want to learn more about something, I will research it for days and find out all that I can on the subject. It doesn’t matter if it’s religion, science, history, machinery, technology…I will be forever interesting in just about everything. This is probably why I am so good at trivia oriented games and contests. My memory may not be that good for certain things, but for random (and seemingly useless/obscure) facts, it’s like a steel trap.
9) Last, but certainly not least, my amazing husband, family, and friends. As far as Vince goes, I couldn’t ask for a better friend and partner in crime. As cheesy as it may sound, he totally “gets” me and accepts my every flaw and quirk. He’s a complete stud muffin, that’s all I can say!
The rest of my family, while a bit dysfunctional, is very loving and supportive of the sometimes crazy path my life is taking. And My 6-year-old cousin, Annie? One of my favorite people on earth! Love that kid.
I have friends that I have known since Elementary and Junior High school. I am the type of girl that values close, long term friendships over casual acquaintances. That being said, I love making new friends as well; I just desire to make those friendships long term. And once your in my circle of peeps, it’s hard to get out!
**Pinterest SUCKS at making sure original sources are linked to–it’s starting to make me not want to use the site. I did my best to find the creators of the above photos, but most link to random Tumblr sites or Google images. If you happen to know the original sources or are the original source of any of the above photos and want them removed, please let me know.**