It’s hard to believe that 2012 is coming to a close. This year has been very eventful indeed and saw me moving from America to Bulgaria, confronting life (and a fair amount of culture shock) as a new expat, exploring my new home, venturing back to Denali, Alaska for a third summer working for Princess Cruises; time spent at home in Utah with friends and family, another leap across the pond to Bulgaria, and reveling in a ridiculous amount of incredible travels.
While part of me is sad to see such a jam-packed year pass, the rest of me is looking forward to the BIG changes and adventures that 2013 holds. There is already a lot in the works and Vince and I are excited for everything to come.
As I reflect back on 2012 and all that I have experienced, I wanted to share some of the highlights from this year that made their way into blog posts.
(It’s a long one guys!)
- I introduced you all to Smolyan, my husband’s hometown and where we lived all winter.
- I struggled with being a new expat and yearned to make some friends in Bulgaria (two things that I am still dealing with).
- I visited Sofia for the first time and meet up with a blogger friend and her husband for a walk around the city center.
- I trace the roots of my never ending thirst for travel and wanderlust soul.
- I posted what was to be the first of many Wordless Wednesday posts.
- I try to wrap my mind around the Bulgarian version of pizza…and fail miserably, so we made our own!
- We spent a crazy weekend in Sofia that included seeing Cirque du Soleil, having our car towed, and driving home with no brakes.
- I wrote a 4-part series on working in Alaska: Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4.
- We spent a romantic Valentine’s Day in Plovdiv.
- I started working from home.
- We explored southern-Bulgaria’s countryside on a day trip to Kardzhali.
- I wrote my first guest blog post.
- I bought tons of martenitsi and celebrated my first Baba Marta in Bulgaria.
- Vince and I headed to Shiroka Laka for city’s famous Kukeri (Pesponedelnik) festival.
- My in-laws threw me a big party and I met many members of my new extended family.
- Vince and I take an amazing road trip across Bulgaria and visit Koprivshtitsa, Hisarya, Kalofer, Shipka, Gabrovo, Etar, Veliko Tarnovo, Sozopol, Sunny Beach, Nessebar and Burgas.
- I head back to Utah for a month before working in Alaska for the summer.